Things we can all do to prepare ourselves and our vehicles for winter driving.
- Make sure that your vehicles are properly inspected and maintained.
- Properly inflated winter tires (identified by a mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewall) or mud and snow tires in good condition are required for most B.C. highways between October 1st and March 31st. Tires must have a minimum tread depth of at least 3.5 mm.
- If you operate commercial vehicles, check that the trucks are equipped with tire chains that are in good working order and that the driver has been trained to safely and correctly install them.
- Give your engine a pre-winter check-up, looking at the belts, brakes, battery, exhaust, electrical, and cooling and heating systems.
- Before you leave, make sure that snow and ice have been safely removed from the lights, windows, mirrors, and flat surfaces.