- Practice breathing exercises or meditation, even if you only have time for a few minutes. Think about committing to 5 -10 minutes of mindfulness each day. If you have time and your schedule allows, book yourself into a massage after you arrive at your home away from home to center yourself before you start your assignment. Taking time out of a day to focus on yourself is extremely important.
- Create a sense of familiarity. Before you head out on your workation, take some time to research the community you will be visiting. Find out about any events, attractions or business’ that pique your interest and plan for some fun days off!
- Attend a meetup or class that is being held! Classes could include a Paint Nite, Plant Nite, or even an exercise class. These are a good way to connect with locals, experience the city and meet new people along the way! Just because you are in the city temporarily,does not mean that you shouldn’t meet people and enjoy the company of others!
- Be sure to take care of your physical body too! Skin can become dry while traveling on planes and in hotels, which can be irritating, itchy and not a stressor that you should have to deal with! Be sure to pack your favorite body lotion or hit up a store to keep your skin healthy. Be sure to drink water too!
- Jet lag gets the best of us and sometimes you only have a short time to visit the location but you want to make the most of it! Feeling sleep deprived can take a huge toll on your immune system. Plan your sleep schedule a few days before you leave home to set your internal clocks to the time zone you’ll be visiting or bring some natural sleep aids to assist along the way!
- Bringing along a physical notebook to write down your thoughts, journal, or sketch can help get your create juices flowing and this way, you can take a break from screen time! Although phones, ipads and TV’s are great for passing time and a re a nice luxury to have, digital fatigue is a common problem that we do not think about!
- If you get anxious whole traveling or on planes, be sure to pack your favorite essential oils with you to help combat the feeling and to calm you down!
Things to Pack:
- Face Wipes – When you are always on the go, you can start to feel yucky, but bringing these with you will make it easier to give yourself a quick refresh!
- Dry Shampoo – I think every girl can relate to this necessity!
- Noise Cancelling Headphones – After a stressful and busy day, you may want to just be alone. Noise cancelling headphones can help, whether you are going for a walk, visiting a museum or sitting at a local coffee shop, it’s nice to be “alone” while still out of your room and getting fresh air.
- Your Favourite Book – It’s nice to get lost in a different world and what easier way than to curl to curl up with a good book. Need recommendations? Check out the TravelNuse Book Club!
- Bath Bombs – Maybe you don’t have time to visit a spa! By packing bath bombs, you can bring the spa to your hotel room. Grab some of your favourite bath bombs to soak in after a long day.
- Shower Tablets – Packing aromatherapy shower tablets can be a lifesaver for “those” days. With scents like lavender, eucalyptus and chamomile, it’s easy to relax under a hot shower and wash away the stresses of your day.
What are some items that you need while on assignment? Feel free to let us know and we will be sure to add your recommendations! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with all your #workation tips and tricks!